Last updated: April 6th, 2020
IMPORTANT: If you have any new information, please email me at email@example.com or join my Whatsapp group below. Please note, I’m not an official representative of Global Affairs and I don’t work for the government, so please do your own research.
What you need to do
- IMPORTANT: Send an email to ROCA. The email is firstname.lastname@example.org . But also make sure you send the email to these also email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Scroll down this page to see the email template you should use.
- The departure flight and the loan are different. If you need a loan, describe your situation and send an email to CAN.finances.CV19@international.gc.ca. For more information about the emergency loan, visit https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/financial-assistance/covid-19-financial-help
- Register with Travel Abroad at https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration, I’m not as sure that this is required as I don’t work with the government. Do it anyway.
- This could be helpful. Get everyone you can to sign the petition at https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-bring-back-canadians-stuck-in-bangladesh-home
- There are some social groups if you are feeling alone. Join the FB group here so that you can stay connected with others that want to come home: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2487683944680140/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/BackToCanada/
- I have also made a Whatsapp group here https://chat.whatsapp.com/CadFCL5S8GS9Hj6nzAmH0n
- People in the group have started writing personal letters. Scroll down to the bottom of this web page to see these letters. If you want to add your own letter, email me at email@example.com. I have sent these letters to a news reporter at Bell Media. I’m waiting to get this on news.
- Send a letter to your local MP in Canada. Anyone can do this. You can find your local MP by entering your postal code in this website. From there, you can obtain their email under the contact tab. To see a template of the letter you can send, use the one I have attached below (thanks Johnathan M for the letter by the way!)
I have been in touch with many people stuck in Bangladesh as I have close family there. Initially, we registered with https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration. We did that in late March. I suggest you still do it.
A few days ago, I ended up finding a group on Facebook run by the community. Because some don’t use social media much, I made a Whatsapp group as well.
I also wrote this blog post because some members aren’t aware of all the details. One of the group members suggested we make our own list because Global Affairs hasn’t been releasing numbers on who is registered.
There is also a petition with over 1000 signatures at https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-bring-back-canadians-stuck-in-bangladesh-home.
One of the Whatsapp group members came up with a great idea – handwritten notes that we might use in social media. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see those letters.
It’s really become a little community now and new friendships have been made.
I also managed to reach out to Caitrin Holdom at Bell Media. You can read more about that here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BackToCanada/permalink/2691865334380671/
Please help me get this story out so that we can get these Canadians home. Share this post with your social network.
If you have family out of the country, I suggest you do what I have done here: share and build a community and help get the word out.
You can join the FB and Whatsapp groups here:
At the moment, I don’t have any additional information about a repatriation flight to come home. I will try to keep this page updated with information as I receive it. In the meantime, please follow the instructions below.
I have some other information you may find useful:
- Petition on Change.org – https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-bring-back-canadians-stuck-in-bangladesh-home
- Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh update – http://caab.portal.gov.bd/sites/default/files/files/caab.portal.gov.bd/notices/619e38b4_fe27_4c9b_acbc_848df90a6915/2020-04-05-16-24-e397946b691fc7477ab5bffaddab72d7.pdf
- Civil Aviation Authority home page – http://caab.portal.gov.bd/
- All notices from the Civil Aviation Authority – http://caab.portal.gov.bd/site/view/notices
- Flight Radar showing all flights that would normally be operating from Dhaka (DAC) airport. Please note that this list is probably not a good reference and doesn’t seem to be updated often, but at least you can see which airlines normally operate) – https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/dac/departures
- Over 900 left BD – https://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2020/04/05/over-900-foreigners-left-bangladesh-on-special-flights-during-coronavirus-travel-curbs
- A post I made on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6653071561165283328/
- A post I made on Twitter – https://twitter.com/mayurontech/status/1247306715046895616
- Caitrin Holdom with Bell Media that’s trying to assemble a story – https://www.facebook.com/groups/BackToCanada/permalink/2691865334380671/
- Some Permanent residents are getting an opportunity to fly! – https://twitter.com/CanadaLebanon/status/1246577631983779845
- Travel advice from the Canadian Government on Twitter – https://twitter.com/TravelGoC
- Travel advice from the High Commission of Canada in Bangladesh – https://twitter.com/CanHCBangladesh
- Global Affairs Social Media Channels – https://www.international.gc.ca/gac-amc/contact-contactez/social-media_medias-sociaux.aspx?lang=eng
I’m getting a lot of confusing information here. As far as I can see, there are currently no commercial flights you can try. Biman is closed, cathay is a no go as Hong Kong won’t let you transit through. Same with China southern.
I know of someone that returned to Canada today (April 6) from Doha. He took a direct flight from Doha to Montreal to Vancouver with Qatar Airways. He says the flight from Doha was around 50 people, and after stopping in Montreal, the flight to Vancouver was around 20 people.
He also said they weren’t doing much checking at the Vancouver airport but were more strict in Doha.
The email you should send to ROCA (Registration of Canadians Abroad)
Send this letter to your local MP
Send a letter to your local MP in Canada. Anyone can do this. You can find your local MP by entering your postal code in this website. From there, you can obtain their email under the contact tab. To see a template of the letter you can send, use the one I have attached below (thanks Johnathan M for the letter by the way!)
Letters from people stuck in Bangladesh
IMPORTANT: If you have any new information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or join my Whatsapp group below. If you don’t want to use Facebook or Whatsapp, send me an email and I can get in touch with you.